Tuesday, July 18

42!


Can you guess what the number 42 is all about? No, its not the number of hours I worked this week. No, its not how much I paid for the coffee bodum that I want. 42, is how hot it felt outside yesterday.
I remember bronwen telling me that she was in Montreal for Canada day one year and it was 36 degrees and humid. She told me this because she was explaining why she couldn't come and see me here in the summer. When she first told me, I thought she was either a baby, or just being dramatic. Turns out she was just being honest. And man, if she were here yesterday she would have been saying "I told you so".
Truth is that is was actually only 32 degrees. It when you factor the humidity, that the weather network bumped it up to 42. Evil is now spelled
H>u>m>i>d hellishly, uncool, madly, insanely, devilishly hotttttttt!
You walk you sweat. You stop walking you sweat. You leave the house, its hot. You stay at home, you swelter. AHH, what to do?
I got up at 7:45 yesterday (rare) because it was too hot to sleep. I tried to ignore the heat and go about my day normally. There is nothing normal about loosing 1-5 oz. of body weight in sweat. I had to go to get some pants hemmed a ways away, and decided to walk there. On the way back I passed a sale on cushions. I bought 3 cushions for my futon, and a king sized pillow for my bed. Great! now I had to walk there rest of the way home without the ablility to mop my brow. Disaster. I had two incredibly huge bags to maneuver that kept getting caught by the wind and hitting people as I walked by. Don't get confused by the mention of wind. It wasn't a nice cool breeze and just what the doctor ordered . Its the kind of wind that hits you like a whip and send dust and dirt into your eyes. So... I am walking along, saying sorry in English and French, squinting to get the dust out of my eyes, and trying to catch my sunglasses at the end of my nose with my sweaty greased up shoulder. Fun.
Anyways, the point is this. Bronwen I understand, I'll suffer, and I will see you guys in the fall.
I did manange to get a bit done in the heat. On Sunday I went and checked out the reggae festival in the old port, and the just for laughs festival downtown. Everyone was hot but happy that the sun finally stayed for more than one day (it has been crappy weather here). The reggae reminded me of when I lived in the Caribbean in Costa Rica.
OH, I met with Lindsay Waterman for a coffee the other day. Lindsay is a kid who my sisters and I used to all babysit. He is my mom's good friend Alison Watt's son. He grew up. He is going to McGill now. He's a good kid. He wants to learn how to cook. Suggested that we hit up the Jean talon market once a month, and I show him some of tricks. He is going to flip when I show him my knife bag! Stay tuned for our cooking adventures.
lots of love
megan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this post -- and you said you were too grumpy to write anything and there was nothing to write about anyway -- yet you manage to make even your slowest, crankiest days sound interesting.
but you've got to edit, says the English prof/mom -- go back in there and write that Alison is your mom's friend, not your mom! too confusing . . .

girlcook said...

opps
but beggars cant be choosers mom.
"my mom's good freind Alison Watt's son."
is that right?
love ya

Anonymous said...

getting there, once you spell "friend" right -- ("i" before "e" except after . . . and all that!)
but you're right -- since I was begging for a post, I shouldn't be so choosy.
love ya back

Anonymous said...

whoops, I see you do have it right in the post, just not in your comment

Anonymous said...

it's always nice when other people admit you were right! the hot weather is a good excuse for eating lots of ice cream though. istr there is a ben and jerry's store in montreal...

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.