Saturday, July 29

"Go get changed"


Hey all
Its megan here, at 2:16 am writing to tell you about my night at work....
About 1 month ago, I cooked for some of the performers from La Clique. La Clique is a traveling circus of sorts. One of the owners of Globe had gone to see their show and invited them back to the restaurant for food and drinks. I whipped up some appies and some desserts for Joao (the owner) to give them. Joao promised that he would get me tickets to see one of their shows. He forgot, so did I.

From Thursday to Saturday the kitchen is open until 12. We are generally busier for the second service which starts around 9:45 and goes until 12:00. Tonight was no different. We were steady from 9:00 on. It was actually a bit of a circus at Globe. Joao was bringing strange woman through the back entrance, through the kitchen into the dining room, leaving a faint hint of "Eau du petite prostitute" lingering behind. Random food was being promo'd for "v.i.p's". Joao himself was loaded( on what? I am not really sure of! ) I am a bit intimidated by Joao, he likes me, but he likes to yell as well. He was sloshed and he was hitting on me ( and every female with in a 2 inch radius) My chef was threatening him for bugging me... "I swear bro, I'll punch you out right here in my kitchen". CIRCUS!!!
It was all "in good fun" though. Joao whispered to me that he was just bugging sahsa, my chef. He liked me cause I'm cool, "not too many girls are cool". HA, you guys should see some of the woman that he chases after... Strippers, models, leaches... Of course they aren't cool! (we cant all be Megans) ANYWAY.
It was now about 11:10. We were still steadily sending food out of the kitchen. My specials were selling well, it was already a good night. Out of no where, Sahsa came to me and told me to go get changed and go with Joao to the show.
?
"But I'm at work, Working"
"go get changed"
"I'm kinda scared, do I have to?"
"GO GET CHANGED"
"ok"
So I went down stairs and got changed. When I came back upstairs the cooks were a bit confused, as was I. Nobody really bugged me about leaving early without cleaning up or anything ( I think that they could see the twinkle of fear in my eyes). Those who did bug me got set straight by Patrick who stood up for me saying " Leave her alone, she never get to do anything like this."
I waded through or sleazy Saturday night clientele to the bar and ordered a gin and tonic "on the house". I barely had a sip when I spotted Joao hitting on a new girl. He was cool though, when he saw that I was out of the kitchen , he motioned for me to follow him. WE walked out of the restaurant and down the street to the Just for laughs theatre where La clique was performing. We arrived just as the opening act was starting.
It was AMAZING. WOW! This is what wowed me:
.A man standing on another mans head!
.A lady who made a red cloth disappear into different articles of her clothing, which she shed after she found it. First she found it in her jacket(off with the jacket). Then her skirt(off with the skirt) Then her bra... This went on until she was completely in the buff. The cloth was still missing (can you guess where she found it?)
.A man who was double jointed and inched his body through two tennis rackets with the strings removed!!!
.A woman swallow a sword (yeah , you have heard all about it, but have you ever seen it with your own eyes? Its way cooler up close)
It went on and on. I gasped a lot. And laughed really hard. It was my favorite Montreal experience to date. And I got paid to see it. I forgot to sign out before I left. I thought that I was just going for 15 mins. I stayed for the whole show. Joao left during the second half, he left me with the two bimbos that he brought from the dining room. It was extremely strange/random company, at least they laughed a lot. I asked him if Sasha was going to be pissed at me. He said that Sasha had ok'd it. SWEET. I sat back into my chair with my cranberry and vodka, and laughed my ass off.
When I went back to the restaurant to sign out, I told anyone who would listen all about he show. I found Sasha and thanked him profusely. All the cooks had gone home already, and someone had cleaned my station up for me! I had a fantastic day.
It was soooo unlike me to go off with a man so high on blow, that he was eating his costumers food off the hot pass before it went to theirs tables, to the circus at 11:30 at night. But I had a blast!
Take risks every once in a while. What are you waiting for?
" GO get changed!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing post -- I'm leaving in a few hours to come see you and now I don't know if I'm excited or just very very nervous!
Whose fabulous photographs are those on your site -- you should be sure to give them credit (maybe link to their site or something?)
see you soon, mom

girlcook said...

i did... just click on the three dots before the title.
megs

Schmidtstars said...

What a time you are having Megan!!

Anonymous said...

can it get any better? what an experience.
rachel

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome - add it to the list of things to do when we come see you!