Monday, September 25

taaadaaaa



This in the newer plastic version of the mandolin that I found the other day.
I love using mandolin's. They make chips, julinned vegetables, slicing in general, a breeze. But watch your finger...Mom.
I lent my mom my mandolin about a year ago. She had had a salad with raw sliced beets in it and she wanted to make it at home. The mandolin was the perfect tool because it could get the beets paper thin and uniform. There was no way that she was going to be able to slice the beets with her dull ass knives (I am always harping on my parents to get their knives sharpened-I think that sharp knives are way safer then dull knives because they don't slip around, the slice).
I called her for weeks after to hear if she had used the mandolin yet. When she finally called to tell me that she had used it, She started out by telling me that it was safer for them to have only dull knives in the house. She cut herself pretty bad. Oops. I felt really bad.
mandolins are a great kitchen tool, they cut down on time and waste. But be careful. Use the palm of your hand, not you finger tips if you are going to ignore the fussy safety guard. It is a big blade.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, what do i know about kitchen stuff? I thought a mandolin was a musical instrument. I guess I'm off to cookworks.

by the way, I got you this time frances

rachel

Anonymous said...

Ahh! First to the post. So have you used your new mandolin yet. What's on the menu. Thanks for the cooking lesson. I must say I hate fussing with vegetables, so any tool that makes it easier is worth a try for me. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

mandolins are way useful, especially if you want really lovely and crispy oven potatoes (just spread them on a light layer of oil on a cookie sheet -- 350 for not very long at all)
But yes, they can be very dangerous as I have proved more than once!
and yes, Rachel, you did get me, and Leona too!

girlcook said...

Mom,
The wooden mandoline that I found is as big as a winter sled and was probably made in about 1940... I dont think that I am going to be bringing it into the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

sounds really cool, Megan -- how did you spot it? Had the shop owner recognized it for what it was? There's a short photo-article in the latest Canadian House and Home showing someone's collection of Mixmasters from about 1930s on, but I think your 1940s mandolin is right up there for interest.
Have you done any research at all on the development or history of the mandolin?