For all of you who don't know I am going to set the record straight right now... There are basically no perks in the cooking industry. Long hours, sweaty hot conditions, screaming chefs, totally unflattering uniforms, crappy pay, no benefits, and the list goes on.What about tips and your free staff meals you may be thinking. Oh, you mean the 100$ a month if you work at a place that does dole out tips to the kitchen? And as for free staff meals, they don't get the nick name "shaft" meal for nothing. I worked with a guy who once put up spaghetti noodles with Tabasco sauce and onions as a "stir fry" and bowl of deep fried potato ends for our staff dinner.
Actually we do get one super awesome bonus. The "hook up". No no no, this has nothing to do with fish or fishing. The hook up occurs for cooks when they finally take a step out of the kitchen and spend some time on the other side of the pass. That's right, we eat out too. It is important for cooks to experience what dining can be like from the guests point of view. Most cooks however can't afford to eat at the restaurants they slave, sorry cook at. Thus, the hook up. The hook up could be at the restaurant you work at currently, or maybe a blast from the past ( if you left on good terms), or perhaps it's one you dream about working at. From free drinks and amuse bouche, to free desserts and NO! BILL! you get hooked up. Its the greatest! You can cash in on this special little perk about twice a year, you don't want to appear greedy.
My mum and I recently went to the restaurant that my boyfriend works at and received the royal treatment. Never ending glasses of champagne magically appeared , as did two courses sent up from the kitchen before the two courses we ordered arrived. The complimentary dessert was almost as sweet as the ridiculously minuscule bill we received at about a 5th of what it should have been. It was the perfect meal, we felt like celebrities. The only catch was that we had to tip the waiter on the amount the bill should have been. We were fine with that as our waiter was m attentive, friendly, helpful, and professional (perhaps because my boyfriend makes his staff meal 5 days a week ;).
As for everything in life there are exceptions. Disappointing, and expensive exceptions. Two days after we went to my boyfriends place of work, we visited mine. We were very excited to get the royal treatment all over again. We started off ordering prosecco, then decided on tasting menus at the waiter's recommendations, and ordered an expensive bottle of red to share. Well guess what? The bill was about 365$ for the three of us. I felt like a sucker. I'd been had. My plan to look like a big shot in front of my family bombed! Instead of happy smiles appearing on our faces when the bill came, there was a collective gasp as we flipped over that "little" white piece of paper. The meal was fabulous, I can't deny that, and I am sure that there were a few extra courses slipped in for us, but that just didn't lessen the effect of that damn bill. True, for three people to eat out at a fine dinning restaurant it's not really that bad. But the hook up, what ever happened to the hook up?
Well, its been about 5 days since that night, and I have had time to digest my thoughts and feelings about the experience.... I will be giving my notice tomorrow.
hahaha
I actually am giving my notice. It doesn't have anything to do with the meal, but it will fuel my courage while trying to explain why I am leaving. Toronto just isn't working out. I gave it a shot, but it just isn't for me. Simple as that.
So farewell Toronto. Goodbye to your streetcar tracks, you shite hairdressers, tiny apartments, and your lack of general knowledge pertaining to the hook up.
Monday, August 11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey sweetie -- you're becoming a wiser blogger with a still funny and honest but more measured tone. I'm glad you clarified that our dinner had nothing to do with your decision -- you're just homesick for all of us.
I thought the meal we had at your place was fabulous, and I did feel like a bigshot there -- after all, we had one of the best window tables in the room, and the chef himself, the pastry chef, and another of your co-workers(pastry chef) came out to meet us -- clearly, you're important to them. The ports were complimentary, and that tasting menu was above and beyond -- how many courses were there?!! And really, $365 for a meal of that calibre for three people at the top of a fab building watching the lightning show that Mother Nature provided? Really, priceless, according to Mastercard (well, unfortunately, no, but you get my point;-)
Oh too bad Meagan. I was hoping Pete's niece Sarah could make it to your restaurant before you skip town. She really wanted to check it out. Are you planning on coming back to the coast?
See you soon!
Let me know if you want to come sleep on our couch!
Bronwen
it sucks when the hook up doesn't work out. i'm glad you and rob got treated so well at cl. david took me there when he was the saucier, and we got treated like royalty too, but nothing on the bill got comped! even after his chef told him it would be! anyway, i hope i get to see you before you go. it's been kinda cool living in the same city again.
Post a Comment