Wednesday, April 26

FAQs



Q.Is that your natural Hair colour?
A.Why yes it is!

Q.What was your special today?
A. Today's special fish was: Pan seared Pacific Halibut, roast carrot raviolis with a caper and asparagus sabyon.

Q.So, you're from B.C hey, you must smoke a lot of bud?
A.Actually, I find that people here in Montreal smoke a lot more pot than the people in B.C. I think that B.C just grows really great pot. That's why they get the reputation. I think that I have been offered to smoke a joint here at least 3 times a week. In answer to the above question, I usually say "no thanks".

Q.Ca va?
A.Pas mal.

Q.Who is your favorite chef?
A. I don't really have a favorite chef. There are so many different styles of cooking, to pick one chef, and one style is madness. I am always impressed by chefs who can use whole, natural, fresh, and local ingredients without "deconstructing" them too much. I love simple food. The more that a carrot can taste like a carrot, the better. I think that the new trend of playing with food is absurd. Phrases like "Essence of..", " blah blah scented...", and "deconstructed"(that's the worst) are just fanciful ways of bastardizing old, proper cooking methods. I am all for bastardization of food, but lets call a spade a spade!
The chef that I am most fond of right now is a man called Fergus Henderson. His book The Whole Beast is full of recipes that use the entire ingredient. Dont throw anything out! Not the bones, the heart, kidney, liver, tongue, or foot. His recipes maximize yeild and minimize waste without sacrificing taste. Check it out. http://www.curledup.com/wholebea.htm

Q.How does one rid themselves of hives?
A.It is a relatively simple process.
*Step one is to locate the reason for the hives, mine were/are the stresses of my new environment.
*Step two is to eliminate all the stress in you life, and the elastic from your wardrobe, as the hives tend to appear on the areas where you clothes rub against yor skin. Even if this means having to go three days in a sweltering hot kitchen, for 10 hour shifts without socks, a bra, or UNDERWEAR!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom again -- I'm really loving watching your writing style develop -- like the Q&A format, it's fun. And it's cool to see you articulate your cooking philosophy.
Thanks for the heads-up on the book -- you know I used to make a great spaghetti sauce with chicken hearts 'cause they used to be a cheap buy. And you know your dad and chicken livers! My dad loved to serve us beef tongue (again, it used to be really economical) -- but I never was keen on that texture.
btw, your link to the book website isn't set up to click on right now, and I'm going to have to cut-and-paste it into my browser myself. I know other blogs make the hotlinks work -- can you figure out how to do that to make life easier for your thousands of eventual readers!

Anonymous said...

I know you're really busy 66hr work weeks, bed bugs budding writing career(I'm thinking future tv sitcom) but I was wondering if along the way you could add to FAQ as I know the longer you're there the more recurring questions you'll get
hilary