
Its amazing what you can do with small spaces.
When I first saw this house, the room that I was moving into was only furnished with a blow up air mattress. The door couldn't even open all the way with out hitting the mattress. I guess that I saw the potential because I decided to take it anyway.
In my room now I have an air mattress. I also have a desk, a dresser, a wardrobe, a rocking chair, a small futon, a bench for my desk, and a bed. My room is about 9.5 feet by 9.5 feet. All that time spent watching "Trading Spaces" really paid off. I
finally have the room set up in a way that I like.
As soon as I get a digital camera, I will set up some photos of my room. I won't be able to back up(at all!) to get a good shot, so chances are that I will have to pivot and shot a bunch of photos.
My mom and dad so generously sent me money for a digital camera. I will be reluctantly(see "a series of unfortunate events" below)going back to FutureShop this weekend to purchase one. As well this weekend, I want to go out for dinner. I need to research the food scene here in Montreal. There is a restaurant called Anise I want to check out. I sent my resume there 3 time from B.C. while I was job hunting. The chef there is a woman(bonus points), she has training in Indian/Middle Eastern style food. Lots of anise, coriander,cumin,cloves, and cinnamon. If I do end up going, I will be sure to post a review. clickhereforANISE
Earthy Dessert
Today at the restaurant, we made a very unique dessert special. We had a three tiered carrot cake with classic cream cheese frosting. To garnish I made a flamboyantly purple "beet caramel", and a carrot caramel sauce.
To make the red beet caramel
1. Grate about a 1/4 cup of red beets and squeeze the juice through a fine sieve.
2. Pour one cup of sugar into a flat bottomed pot and just cover with water.
3. Boil the sugar and water until the sugar starts to caramelize(starts to turn yellow, then tan, then brown).
4. When the sugar has camamelized, and turned a light brown, take it off the heat and wisk in the beet juice. BE CAREFUL! There is a lot of steam that comes from the juice hitting the hot hot hot sugar.
5. Return the pot to the stove on a low heat and stir with the wisk until you feel all the caramel pull away from the sides of the pot and the beet caramel is a syrupy consistency.
6. Let cool before tasting(careful not to burn your tongue)
I know that Bronwen is turning her nose up at the idea of a vegetable being incorporated into a dessert. What do the rest of you think? Yellow bell pepper sorbet? Caramelized fennel ice cream? Sweet potato and pecan tarts?
2 comments:
And even Bronwen loves pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin creme brulee!
Meg, you finally got your carrot cake! sorry i didn't get to make it for you. (you're right about me and the non-traditional desserts though - carrot cake and pumpkin pie I love, but fennel ice cream.... i don't think so!)
B
Post a Comment