
It all started about 3 weeks ago. I started to notice little rusty coloured spots on my pillow and my duvet. At first I figured that the duvet had come like that and that I hadn't noticed when I first bought it. Then as the spots appeared in other places on the duvet, I got suspicious. I knew at this point that it was most likely that there was a pest in my room. I took apart my bedding and laundered it, as well, I bleached my air mattress. Problem solved, or not. Had I known what the caused the little rust coloured spots, I could have saved myself a lot of money, and trouble.
Had I known where the spots came from at the time, I wouldn't have gone to see two doctors at fifty bucks a pop to be told that I have hives due to a viral infection.
I have been applying the cream to the legions like I was told to do, all the while wondering why new ones kept popping up. Had I know, I wouldn't have continued to sleep in my bed for 3 weeks. Every morning I would look in the mirror and search for new "hives". I had one on my arm the other day that was about the circumference of a golf ball that stuck out about a quarter of an inch. Oh...... Had I known that this apartment had a problem with BED BUGS I wouldn't have moved in !!!!!!!!
I was lying in my bed three days ago when I noticed a bug snuggled in with me. It started to scuttle away and I grabbed it and squished it. It was a female I'm guessing because of the eggs that were released as I squashed the bug. The bug was way bigger than I thought bed bugs were. This sucker was about the size of my pinky finger nail(cut short). Ewe. My mind shot back to the time that I had a "hive" on my eye lid. That means that there was a bug sitting on my eye lid, while I was asleep sucking my blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bed bugs are a problem here in Montreal. The girls apparently had the place fumigated 3 months ago. But according to the research that I did on line, they are very hard to get rid of. The eggs need human blood to survive, but they can go for about a month with out it, The mature bugs can go up to a year with no food. They have very flat bodies, and they like to nest close to the host in the seams of mattresses, boxsprings, and headboards. The females can lay up to 10 eggs a day.
Are you feeling sick yet?
I didn't want Ashley to know about it because she was going to New York the day that I found the bug, and I figured that she didn't need the extra stress. When she left, and I heard the door close, I ran to Caits room and told her. She called the land lord and left a message with him. The next day she told me she searched her bed and she too found a tiny blood sucker. When the landlord hadn't called her back, I took over. I called the landlord and told him that we needed to get the place exterminated. He told me that he would send someone over the next day or the day after.
Two days later at 11 in the morning I was doing yoga. I had my mat set up in the kitchen because it is very spacious. I was in downward dog when the doorbell rang. I went to go get it and was confronted by a man with a gas mask and coveralls. OH shit. I didn't realize that he would be at the house so early. I called Cait and got her to come home from her boyfriends. She was really mad because we didn't get 24 hours notice from the landlord, and that it was a violation of our tenants rights. Who cares! This guy is going to get rid of the bugs that crawl onto our exposed skin at night and inject us with a freezing enzyme in their saliva so that we wont feel it when they suck out our blood. Let the man do his job!
Eventually after scolding the exterminator for going in her room before she got there(we waited for her for like 45 mins),she let him go to it. He set up a machine that sprays out the chemical, and sprayed both caits and my rooms. It was very dramatic. I would wait outside the room for him. When he was done spraying, he would emerge through the door in a cloud of the chemical with his gas mask on. I told him that he looked like a super hero( I think that he liked that).
I had to sleep on the couch last night. This morning I spend 3 hours cleaning the house. I started with my room. The spraying had left an oily residue behind that coated everything. Good thing that I thought to cover my computer with plastic.
So...
Hopefully my bed bug problems are behind me(not underneath me in the mattress). If they do show up, I am on the lease until August, at which time I will promptly move out. Wish me luck that they don't show up again!
2 comments:
Sick! Bed bugs sound disgusting. Is there any guarantee from the exterminator? You should wrap yourself in cling wrap every night before bed. That's a guarantee. Anyways, good luck and get updated on your tenant rights. ...
eww!! that is so disgusting. but now you can speak with authority about what is worse: cockroaches in your shower or bugs in your bed?!
Post a Comment