Monday, May 15

This is why I didn't want roommates....

Ashley and Cait - the two names on the lease. September 2005 - August 2006
Ashley has two adjoining rooms, Cait has a small bedroom and a small office. I have a small bedroom. We all pay 367$
History - When the two girls found the place, it was a dump. They put a lot of work into fixing it up. They spent a lot of money on paint. Ashleys parents came down from Toronto to help out.
All the furniture in the place is Ashlyes.
Two people have rented out this room before me since last August.
Present - When I moved in they wanted to be sure that I would stay. Ashleys dad is a lawyer so they drew up a contract for me to sign saying that I agree to stay on until the end of August.

Ashley is subletting her room to Jen for 400$, but she has locked one of her rooms. Ashley gave me a key to the room as part of the agreement that I could store some of my stuff in there. Ashley also ok'd it with Jen that she could store her suitcases in there.

Ok,

On the day that Ashley left for new York, I found a bed bug. I didn't want to stress her out, so I decided that I would leave her out of it, seeing as that she couldn't really do much at that point. I called the landlord and had the place fumigated. Upon discovering hives on my body after the fumigation, I am insisting that the apartment be treated for bugs again.

Jen, the newest roommate and I get along really well. We are friends as well as being roommates. I never got that vibe from Ashley or cait. Jen and I got to talking and I found out that she is being charged 400$. I thought that was funny because Ashley pays less money and she gets the full two rooms. I also found out that Ashley told jenny that I would be taking care of the bills.
The only bill that I know about is the internet bill. She told me just to collect money from everybody and we would deal with paying the bill when she gets back.

I had to contact her in NYC to tell her that we got a letter from the internet company stating that there were over due charges and that they were going to cancel services if the bill wasn't paid in 3 days.
The rest of the bills??? I think that the hydro is in Caits name. I haven't seen a hydro bill yet, and apparently Ashley owes Cait about 300$ for past hydro bills.
where was I...

oh yeah, so the bed bugs are back. I want to be sure that they are gone this time. We had a meeting and we agreed that we would cooperate and take all the necessary measures to get rid of them. So washing all clothes and bagging them until after the exterminated was in order. I took all my clothes out of my wardrobe the other day and into plastic bags. I cleaned and raid'd my warbrobe and moved it into Ashleys study(we had agreed that I could earlier). I plan to wash all my clothes and put them into the study, as there is no human host in that room, no bed bugs. I had the study unlocked and I was bringing my stuff into the room.
next day...

I got a text and a voice mail message from Ashley today. She is super pissed at me because jenny e mailed her and questioned her about the amount of rent she is being charged in comparison to me. Ahsley said that I F%^$ed her over by talking to Jen about the rent, that it wasn't my place to interfere, blah blah blah. Then she said in her text message that she heard that her study was a free for all. So I am guessing that Ashley must have talked to cait, who blew thing out of proportion. I get the feeling that Cait doesn't like it that Jen and I have been hanging out in the house together. ANYWAYS, This sucks. I am caught in the middle of Ashley vs jen, Ashley and cait vs megan and jen, and The bed bugs vs megan.

I called Ashley and reassured her that her office is not a free for all, I am just storing things there until the bed bugs thing is sorted out. I also told her that I have nothing to do with her and jens agreement. I hope she understands this and all this shit gets smoothed over.

Thank god none of the bills are in my name!
As soon as that contract I signed is up, I am out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

roommate drama -- gotta be the worst! well no, I guess for worst you've always got the bedbugs. Thank goodness none of the accounts (Hydro, Internet, etc.) are in your name.
Hey, I just googled Megan Sprout Montreal and your site pops up -- you've obviously been getting enough hits to register in the system -- cool!

Anonymous said...

Did it say anything in your contract about bedbugs? If they are that bad you should be able to leave. Hang in there we are all here cheering ya on!!!


Karen

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I feel so itchy!

Anonymous said...

I can really feel for you about the bugs. You should get some money refunded for all the cost and bother you have been through. Thank goodness it's no worse. I don't blame you for moving. We love you. Grandma S

Anonymous said...

Hello Megan,
working with men in the kitchen all day, maybe it's good for you to be experiencing the drama of having female roommates. You are getting perspective from both sexes and really seeing that both have very.. different ways of dealing with things. Also it makes for interesting blog drama
hilary

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»