Sunday, November 12

look what I did!

So...
How are you guys? I am fine, except for the 5 stitches in my left pointer finger. See.
Yesterday I was rushing around like a fool, on a busy Saturday shift( the busiest of the week). I was cleaning a beef strip loin when it happened, my fourth loin that day. As I was removing the fat cap from the beast of a loin, I managed to ram my boning knife 1 inch into the fleshy portion of my pointer finger just above the knuckle.

Sarah said I yelped.
I reached for a cloth and dizzily walked out to the garage. As I passed the Garde manger station I stoped laughing at myself and started to well up. The warm wet feeling of the blood spilling from my wound solidified my fear that I really screwed up.


Stacy the pastry girl came put the garage to see if I was OK. She was walking behind me rubbing my back.
"Are you OK"
"please get AL"
"Meg, are you OK?, What happened?"
"Stacy just get me Al"
"Are you..."
"GET ME AL!"
I knew that Alex, with his high tolerance for pain and grossness in general, would be able to look at my cut and asses the damage. I knew that I sure didn't want to look at it. Patrick came into the garage a minute after Al did, carting the huge first aide kit. Al grabbed me, the first aide kit and we trucked it through the kitchen and into the men's washroom in the dining room. Thank god it was before service started. If we had to use the staff washroom, no amount of disinfectant could keep me from getting an infection. Our staff washroom isn't the cleanest place on earth ( please note we have 10 2o-year old busboys who still live at home) . Anyway.
Al cleaned me up, and dressed my wound. He told me that, yes I was going to need to go to the hospital to get stitches.
"now?"
"Um yeah Megan"
"But I am so busy right now, and service is in less than an hour"

I felt horrible. I had to leave my co-workers on the busiest night of the week. I didn't even have the time to tidy up my station. Al was going to have to work my station that night ( sauce) and Sasha was going to have to work in the kitchen during service and cover Al's station (fish).

It wasn't going to be pretty. I hate having to turn my station over before I am ready. Its like someone coming over to your house to visit before you have notice of it and your place is a mess. Its embarrassing because well, damn, my place is never a mess. It was last night though and I was scrambling to get set up properly. Oh well, There want much I could do about it at that point.


I staggered over to the bar to sit down after Al fixed me up. Al went to find someone to drive me to the hospital. He came back with Joao and a shot of whiskey. I shot back the whiskey and followed Joao through the kitchen and back into the garage. As we passed by all the curious cooks, Joao raised the volume of his voice
"A lot of girls have done some crazy things to get in my truck Megan, but nothing like this."
" yeah yeah yeah "
When we got to the hospital, Joao walked me in and made sure that I was going to be OK. The wait didn't look long, so I said thanks and I would see him soon.

Two and a half hours later they called my name and showed me to the room. Half and hour later a Doctor came in to clean and stitch me up. He was kinda cute. score!
Turns out that he wasn't the doctor, he was a resident. We flirted a bit, okay a lot. He cleaned my hand up, then went to get the doctor that was going to be coaching him through the stitching.
When the doctor came in I asked him how he was.
"I'm sorry, do I know you?"
" No, but you just look kinda tired or grumpy, I was just wondering how you are"
sooooorrrryyyy for asking.
" Oh, I am just teaching him... and un... no.. I am fine thank you"
hahaha that was awkward!
The doctor instructed then the resident took over and did a very nice job. My finger looks just like a baseball.
We were talking about my work (I was still wearing my chefs jacket) and how it was one big party on Saturdays. He asked me when we were going to party. Ahh what the hell, I thought why not.

"Tuesday?"
"Actually Tuesday works for me" he said.
I slipped him my number and thanked him for the stitches.
The nurse came into dress the would, and to give me a tetnis shot (the cherry on top). She was about my age, so I told her that I gave the resident my number.
"You gave the Res your number?!"
"Yeah, is that weird, is he weird?"
" No, he is really nice, and he is only here for 2 months visiting from Germany so...."
"HAHAHA"

I took a cab back to work. When I got in everyone came up and asked after the amount of stitches. I got lots of hugs and kisses. I also got told how they had to rip apart my station when I left because there was blood all over the place. Aaahhh, Thanks Guys.

When I saw Sasha on line my heart sank a little. He looked stressed. He called me over and asked how I was. Once he was sure that my finger wasn't going to fall off or anything, he pulled me around the corner.
" Do you have 10.50$?"
" um yeah, why?
" Okay, I need you to go to the store and get me a 6 pack, I am really stressed, I really need this"
" okay"
Weird! Off I went to get my boss beer so that he can work service in my absence. Man I totally don't condone this! But I am appreciative that he is working for me so whatever.
As I was leaving to go to the store, I passed two cooks smoking a joint. They got cut early so I chatted with them for a bit. Jaime's phone rang. It was Sasha calling him back to work because it had picked up and was busy now. Jaimie was trying to tell him how high he was, but Sasha didn't seem to mind. Oh my god.
I went to get the beer, came back to the restaurant and put it Sasha locker like he asked.
Oh my oh my,
Its all kinda funny though. Earlier in the day I was fighting with my oven which kept on going out. As I was lighting the pilot light I turned to Sarah and said

" I wish that I was a girl who had the good sense to stay at home to paint her nails and do her hair!''

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

to paraphrase Joao, the lengths some girls will go to in order to get a good story for their blog!
And this is a good one -- gory pics and all.
We're congregating at the apartment today to feast on your ravioli recipe. I'm just hoping Kris can bring her camera (and hope Bronwen remembers to ask her to!)
love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Megan, that is one nasty looking finger - I can still see your nail however, so I quess you can stay at home and try to paint it. Love Dad

Anonymous said...

ouch! those pictures are kind of disgusting. i hope your wound gets you lots of sympathy at work. (nice job on getting the resident's number - let us know if you end up going out with him)

Anonymous said...

well in a way we were both right
let's see if you remember this episode
http://scally.typepad.com/les_voyages_de_scally/2005/11/kafir_lime.html