Sunday, September 9

Like a wild horse...



Yup, that is a picture in homage to my style. I am like a wild horse. There is no taming this girl. I don't stay at one place for very long, I don't depend too heavily on others, and I don't always( OK never) learn my lesson until it is too late. BUT. I have yet to fuck up.
People outside of this trade will find my career path confusing. The best way for me to describe it is this: It is NOT a blinders on work your way to the top industry. You have to work with and feed off of other cooks and chefs to create, develop, and perfect your style and confidence. There are a lot! of restaurant and cooks in this city. Eat magazine published an article where they quote that 99 restaurants have been opened in Vancouver in the last year and there are still tons more opening. To me that doesn't mean competition, it means motivation, and new inspirations. Being a cook is so fantastic. I get free education , well actually I get paid for it. At each new job I take I meet new fantastic people and make new connections.
There is an unspoken understanding amongst cooks and chefs. Primarily it is "you scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours" . We cooks have a shelf life of 8 months at any one restaurant. After that, cooks go stagnant and don't have the same enthusiasm for their environment, food, and co workers. So they get out, take their reference, and you find something new. then once they are established, they call their buddies from the last place,invite them to come in for dinner, and treat them like kings. The same happens when the cook visits the place that they last worked. After dinner, you go join them for a few beers, and you talk shop, catch up on the insider industry gossip, and everybody goes home happy.

Weird eh?

Well, I guess that you figured by now, that that's what I have done. I went and worked a shift at a new restaurant the other day, and I got offered a job there, and I took it.
They are BIG into local, regional , and organic foods... ME too!!! The plating is so beautiful, and fresh. They change the menu once a month ( so wicked) so I will be forever learning and evolving as a cook. I am happy, inspired and ready to get to work.
wish me luck... I am going to get my culinary ass kicked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let us know what it's called, so we can make reservations.

Bronwen said...

good for you... can't wait to come in for dinner!

materfamilias said...

you're certainly expanding my knowledge of Vancouver restaurants girl!

Kris said...

Let us know when we can come visit! The new place sounds very exciting.

Anonymous said...

megan. it hAs been two weeks since your last update. has nothing dramatic happened in your life...