Cooking in professional kitchens shaped me into the person that I am, and I am happy to take all the new personality traits I acquired with me to the next chapter in my life. I am tough. At first I was a bit too tough, and maybe/probably got called a bitch behind my back. It's hard keeping up with the Jone s. I had a tendency to overcompensate. When the Jones' are a bunch of tattooed, beer worshiping, sailor mouthed, bathroom humour loving dudes, you can't be shy. You have to roll up your sleeves, quit bitching about the heat, and respond " that's what she said" faster than anybody else.
I have since had 3 more sous positions, and have learned to mellow out. I saw that if you want to work with people and extract their full potential, you have to show them that you wouldn't ask them to do anything that you weren't willing to do yourself. Scrub the greasy fryer with petrified calamari from 3 days ago stuck to the bottom, get on your hands and knees in the walk in fridge and mop up the salmon juice that smells like death, get up after 4 hours of sleep and a 12 hour shift to work a double shift from 8am-12pm. They will follow your lead, sing your praises, and learn and grow as cooks and chefs. It's a good feeling.
It's a good feeling until your back feels as though there are 3 pairing knives lodged in between the last two vertebrae, and your knees scream at you after shift and moan and groan in the morning. Standing on a tiled floor for such long periods of time mixed with lifting ( I really should have used my legs, not my back) stock pots that when empty weigh about 1o pounds ( with 30 litres of water and 50 lbs of bones added) really kicks the shit out of your body!
At my last job, at a restaurant where I was hired back for the 3rd time and though things would be different, I had a rude awaking. Not only did things not get better, my hours were longer, I didn't have benefits, and the workload had increased because of a new business venture by the owner. I had hopes of climbing the rest of the ladder there. I though that if I stuck in there I would get the position as chef whenever it came up. But as week after week went by with my body, mind, and relationships falling apart, I didn't think it was worth it anymore.
To carry on cooking, at the calibre that I feel happy with, I would have to keep working stupid hours and forfeit my life for my job. I don't want that job more that I want to have kids, to travel, and to spend time with the people that I love and think are interesting.
so....
I am pulled up my pants and made a decision. I am going to study and practice massage therapy as an RMT- registered massage therapist. I think that because it's hands on, and I will be helping people get better and feel more comfortable, I will be pretty good at it. I start school on August 31st and I am excited. This new start is welcome by me and those around me who know that I needed a change. Thanks for the support and wish me luck.
3 comments:
great post, sweetie -- I love the way you've worked your own creative photography into the mix.
I hope you'll find time to keep blogging -- we've missed you here!
I'm so proud of you sweet heart, good luck! I can't wait to be dating a student>
I love you, Meg and that rad Marely shirt your wearing.
Caitlin
Post a Comment